04 Jun Investiture debate (intermediate onwards)
- Are you interested in politics? Why/why not?
- What do you know about the Spanish political situation? Have you ever heard about the investiture debate? Which are the main parties involved in it?
Read the article from “El País” (click here) and answer the following questions:
- Summarise the gist of the article.
- What is each party’s position?
- Can you predict what will happen?
- What conditional type is in the article’s headline? What type of action (possible, real, unreal, etc.) does it describe? Can you find more examples of this conditional type in the article?
- “Left-wing forces” is an expression related with politics. What other similar expressions can you identify in the text? e.g. to hold elections, to hold talks, reach a deal, etc. Look up new words in the dictionary.
- Use two of those new expressions in true or false sentences.
- Make a monologue summarising the article and giving your opinion on what’s happening.