04 Apr Learn English with Ricky Gervais (upper-intermediate/advanced)
I´m beginning the new academic year 2013-1014 with this post to cheer up everyone´s spirits, teachers and students. I think we all need an energy boost after some long summer holidays…
For those of you who do not know Ricky Gervais, he´s a multi-faceted English comedian who has participated in different TV and radio shows as writer, producer and actor. He´s also hosted the Golden Globes and created, together with Stephen Merchant, the famous TV sitcom The Office.
Karl Pilkington has once been a producer for Ricky´s radio show and appeared on TV shows like Extras and The Ricky Gervais Show. He´s also presented the TV show An Idiot Abroad.
So, here are some questions for you to answer after watching this video:
– Why does Karl seem angry at the beginning?
– Does Ricky speak at a natural speed? Why/why not?
– When Karl tried to explain the meaning of “stink”, Ricky starts laughing. Does Ricky´s advice “Always speak proper English” to Karl seem accurate to you? Is it more effective that way?
– Why is it so difficult for Karl to explain the meaning of “smell”?
– What do they seem to disagree about?
– What happens when Ricky and Karl roleplay the shop scenario?
– Have you learnt anything after watching this lesson? Is it effective as a language lesson?