04 Apr Slang: Words which are not in all dictionaries
Dictionaries do not always contain all the words and expressions people use. They sometimes prescribe more tan describe the way we use language. This is why it´s hard to find some expressions, especially those coloquial and informal ones, in the most commonly-used dictionaries.
Fortunately, there are some other dictionaries, such as The Urban Dictionary, which have those definitions. I will try to illustrate my point in the next paragraph.
This morning I watched the music video of the song Thrift Shop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and I found a few expressions which were new to me. Looking this words up on the internet, I came across The Urban Dictionary website and another website which seems really useful and interesting as well: Rap Genius. Thanks to these two sources I learnt that:
1) pop tags: remove the price tag of some items so that they are repriced.
2) a come up: an advantage you gain monetarily speaking.
3) damn frosty: really cool.
4) a cold ass honky: a cool looking white person .
5) flossing: to show off
6) noggin: a) oral sex b) spending time doing nothing constructive but watching TV, playing video games, etc.
There are undoubtedly many other frequently used American slang expressions which I haven’t included here but I will in future posts.
I recommend the song and its video. Enjoy!