15 Mar The bull whose semen is worth $3,000 (upper-intermediate-advanced)
Posted at 06:56h in English Class Resources>English Vocabulary, English Class Resources>Reading Intermediate and above, English Class Resources>Speaking 0 Comments
1) Are you an animal lover? How much do you know about cattle breeding? and bulls?
2) Read the title and look at the photos. Make a prediction of what the article might be about.
3) Match the following words with their correct definitions:
|amble||the large baglike mammary gland of cows, sheep, etc, having two or more teats|
|size up||a group of followers that accompany someone important|
|weary||the coarse food that a cow, goat, etc. brings back up from its first stomach to its mouth for further chewing|
|rave||talk with great enthusiasm|
|wondrous||to go at a slow, easy pace|
|udder||make an assessment of a person or problem|
|tarpaulin||large water-proof covering sheet
Read the article (click here) and answer the following questions:
- Why is Yuvraj’s semen so expensive and why do people from around the world go to see it?
- How does Karamveer Singh look after Yuvraj?
- What does Karamveer do?
- Why isn’t he considering selling the bull?
- What information is there about India’s stockbreeding and agricultural industry?
- Make a short summary of the article.
- What’s the meaning of “cash cow”? (parr. 7)
- Should animals be treated like human beings?
- Making a brand out of an animal
- Agricultural and stockbreeding industry in your country: what is being done and could be done better