A) Who do you admire? Why?
B) Why may the following people be admired? Are there any traits common to all of them? Who should be admired the most and why?
C) Read the article published on Celeb Youth and answer the following questions:
- What is the gist of the article?
- Do you agree with the author? Can you illustrate your point or give examples?
- Should we do somehing about it? Why/why not?
- How could we change this?
1- Is it OK to admire rich people?
2- Do the people we admire show the type of values we have? If so, what type of values are present in our society?
3- Who did you use to admire in the past and who do you admire now?
4- Did you and your friends at school use to admire the same person?
5- Do people always change when they become heroes? How?
6- Should pop stars behave differently because they are admired by many young people?
7- Why do people need heroes? What type of heroes do they need?
8- What are values? Why are they important? What type of values do we need as a society and as human beings?
E) These are the Nine Values for Australian Schooling. Read the list and choose the three most important ones (and account for your choices):
- Care and Compassion – Care for self and others.
- Doing Your Best – Seek to accomplish something worthy and admirable, try hard, pursue excellence.
- Fair Go – Pursue and protect the common good where all people are treated fairly for a just society.
- Freedom – Enjoy all the rights and privileges of Australian citizenship free from unnecessary interference or control, and stand up for the rights of others.
- Honesty and Trustworthiness – Be honest, sincere and seek the truth.
- Integrity – Act in accordance with principles of moral and ethical conduct, ensure consistency between words and deeds.
- Respect – Treat others with consideration and regard, respect another person’s point of view.
- Responsibility – Be accountable for one’s own actions, resolve differences in constructive, non-violent and peaceful ways, contribute to society and to civic life, take care of the environment.
- Understanding, Tolerance and Inclusion – Be aware of others and their cultures, accept diversity within a democratic society, being included and including others.
Note: The topic of this blog post was inspired by an activity found in Programa AULAS FELICES.